Study Purpose:This study provides an opportunity for subjects in the REFALS (3119002; NCT03505021) study to continue treatment with oral levosimendan. The study will also provide more information about long-term safety and effectiveness of oral levosimendan in patients with ALS.
This is an open-label study, so that all eligible subjects that complete the double-blind REFALS study (48-weeks of treatment) will have the opportunity to receive oral levosimendan treatment. The primary objective, in addition to continuing treatment for subjects enrolled in the REFALS study, is to evaluate long-term safety of oral levosimendan in ALS patients. Another important objective is to explore long-term effectiveness of oral levosimendan in the treatment of patients with ALS.
This study is open only to patients taking part in the REFALS study.
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Type of Intervention:
Study Chair(s)/Principal Investigator(s):
Geneviève Nadeau, CSD, Orion Corporation, Orion Pharma
Coordinating Center Contact Information
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Orion Corporation, Orion Pharma
Estimated Study Start Date:
06 / 26 / 2019
Estimated Study Completion Date:
11 / 18 / 2020
Posting Last Modified Date:
01 / 26 / 2021
Date Study Added to neals.org:
05 / 13 / 2019
Can participants use Riluzole?
- Written or verbal informed consent (IC) for participation in the study
- Subjects who completed 48 weeks of treatment according to the REFALS study protocol
- Able to swallow study treatment capsules at the time of completing 48 weeks dosing in the REFALS study
- Development (or significant worsening from baseline of the REFALS study) of serious cardiovascular disease (e.g.: myocardial infarction, heart failure, arrhythmia, stroke, or second or third degree atrioventricular (AV) block)
- Pulse/heart rate repeatedly >100 bpm after 5-minute rest at baseline. If the pulse/heart rate is >100 bpm in the first recording, then a second recording must be done after another 5 min rest to confirm pulse/heart rate >100 bpm
- Systolic blood pressure (SBP) <90 mmHg
- Severe renal impairment (creatinine clearance < 30ml/min or creatine >170 µmol/l at 48 week visit of the REFALS study, or on dialysis
- Severe hepatic impairment at the discretion of the investigator
- Women of reproductive age without a negative pregnancy test and without a commitment to using a highly effective method of contraception (e.g.: oral hormonal contraceptive associated with inhibition of ovulation, intrauterine devices and long acting progestin agent), if sexually active during the study, and for 1 month after the last dose of the study treatment. Women who are postmenopausal (1 year since last menstrual cycle), surgically sterilised or who have undergone a hysterectomy are considered not to be reproductive and can be included
- Subject judged to be actively suicidal by the investigator
- Any other clinical significant cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, hepatic, renal, neurological or psychiatric disorder or any other major concurrent illness that in the opinion of the investigator could interfere with the interpretation of the study results or constitute a health risk for the subject if he/she took part in the study
Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge