Study Purpose:The purpose of this study is to determine the tolerability of L-Serine oral doses for ALS patients and assess preliminary indications of efficacy
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
Type of Intervention:
Study Chair(s)/Principal Investigator(s):
Elijah W Stommel, MD,PHD, Dartmouth-Htichcock Medical Center
Coordinating Center Contact Information
Dartmouth-Htichcock Medical Center
New Hampshire, 03756 United States
Full Study Summary:
Elijah W. Stommel
Estimated Study Start Date:
10 / 24 / 2018
Estimated Study Completion Date:
06 / 01 / 2023
Posting Last Modified Date:
03 / 09 / 2022
Date Study Added to neals.org:
07 / 09 / 2018
Can participants use Riluzole?
- Diagnosis of probable or definite ALS
- ALSFRS-R score >25 and FVC score ≥ 60% predicted
- If currently taking Riluzole and/or Edaravone/Radicava must be on stable dose for 3 months prior to Baseline/Screening. If the dosing has not been stable for 3 months prior to Baseline/Screening or if stopped due to an adverse event, the waiting period off the medication will be 7 days. If not on either of these medications may start if desired either or both medications after enrollment into study.
- Diagnosis of probable or definite ALS more than 3 years prior to study enrollment
- Diagnosis or previous history of ischemic stroke, brain tumor, uncontrolled diabetes, renal insufficiency, or severe hypertension.
- Diagnosis or previous history of comorbid progressive neurodegenerative disease such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, Lewy Body disease, Pick's disease, Huntington's disease, Progressive Supranuclear palsy. ALS patients diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia will not be excluded from this study.
- Diagnosis or previous history of symptomatic peripheral neuropathy. Patients with findings of peripheral neuropathy on electrodiagnostic tests only but no clinical symptoms at the time of enrollment are eligible.
- Undergoing any chemotherapy or radiation therapy for any cancer
- Any medical condition likely to interfere with the conduct of the trial or survival of the patient during this study period
- Pregnant women or women who are breast feeding
- Has taken L-Serine supplement within 30 days prior to start of study drug
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center | Recruiting
Lebanon, New Hampshire