Study Purpose:The study will evaluate the safety, tolerability and therapeutic effects (preliminary efficacy) of injection of autologous cultured mesenchymal bone marrow stromal cells secreting neurotrophic factors (MSC-NTF), as a possible treatment for patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) at the early and progressive disease stages.
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Type of Intervention:
MSC-NTF cells transplantation (IM), MSC-NTF cells transplantation (IT)
Phase 1/Phase 2
Study Chair(s)/Principal Investigator(s):
Dimitrios Karussis, MD, PhD, Hadassah Medical Organization
Coordinating Center Contact Information
Hadassah University Hospital
Jerusalem, 91120 United States
Full Study Summary:
Eligible patients will be enrolled into the study and will be observed for every 2 weeks during a "run in period" of 3 months for determination of the progression rate of the disease. During the "run in period" after about 6 weeks following enrollment, patients of both study groups will undergo a Bone Marrow Aspiration procedure and MSC-NTF cells will be produced from the bone marrow aspirate based on Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Ltd proprietary method. On the last "run in period" visit, patients of both study groups will undergo the treatment and MSC-NTF will be transplanted by IM or IT injection to the early and progressive ALS patients respectively.
After the MSC-NTF transplantation patients will be observed on a monthly basis for a post treatment follow up period of 6 months.
Estimated Study Start Date:
05 / 31 / 2011
Estimated Study Completion Date:
03 / 01 / 2013
Posting Last Modified Date:
01 / 10 / 2019
Date Study Added to neals.org:
01 / 20 / 2010
Can participants use Riluzole?
1. El Escorial criteria for definite or probable ALS
2. Either men or non pregnant women between 20-75 years of age.
3. Patient is mentally intact and psychologically stable
4. For early stage ALS- Patients will be with ALS-FRS-R scale of at least 30 and disease duration of less than 2 years.Or, for progressive stage ALS- Patients will be with an ALS-FRS-R scale of 15-30 and disease duration of less than 2 years
5. For early stage ALS- Patient has sufficiently bulky muscles. Or, for progressive stage ALS- Patient with at least 60% FVC
6. Participant understands the nature of the procedure and provides written informed consent prior to any study procedure.
1. Positive test for HBV, HCV, HIV and Mycoplasma.
2. High protein in the CSF.
3. Lymphocytosis in the CSF.
4. Positive for anti-GM1 antibodies.
5. Patient has significant conduction blocks or slow nerve conduction velocities (a reduction of more than 30%) confirmed by nerve conduction velocity - EMG studies.
6. The patient is a respiratory dependent.
7. Renal failure, impaired hepatic function
8. Patients suffering from significant cardiac disease, malignant diseases or any other disease that may risk the patient or interfere with the ability to interpret the results
9. Active infections.
10. Participation in another clinical trial within 1 month prior to start of this study.
11. Subject unwilling or unable to comply with the requirements of the protocol.
12. Patient has not been treated previously with any cellular therapy.
Hadassah Medical Organization